Here are some tips for things you can do right now if you feel numb, disconnected, or too stressed. See which tips work best for you. Some will work better for you than others, so use whichever ones feel best.
- Drink a glass of water, tea, or juice.
2. Take a deep breath
- Inhale slowly through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth. Repeat that 10 times.
3. Box Breathing
- Breath in through your nose for 4 counts. Hold for 4 counts. Breath out through your mouth for 4 counts. Repeat 4 times.
4. Focus your attention
- Bring yourself back to the present moment by focusing your attention on the temperature of the room, name 5 colors you see around you, focus on a piece of furniture or a plant.
5. Ground yourself
- Touch the surface of something around you, a tree or a piece of furniture. Push your hands against the wall. Focus on the sensations.
6. Talk about it
- Talk about how you’re feeling with a friend, a family member, a counselor, or anyone you trust.
- Count backward from 20 as you walk around the room.